Headed to the gun range to sharpen your marksmanship? There are some basic tenets you should adhere to from the moment you enter a “hot” range. Read below and learn how one should conduct himself in this location, and you’ll be viewed as a pro – whether it is your first or fiftieth visit. The standard rules of etiquette for the range are as follows:
1. Pay attention to where you are aiming your gun’s muzzle. Unless you are ready to discharge your weapon, your muzzle should always be pointed toward the ground. This is one of the most important rules to adhere to at a gun range, because no one wants to believe that you are pointing your weapon at their face on purpose.
2. If the range leader asks you to do something, immediately comply. The two words that should have you sprint to attention the quickest are “Cease Fire!” When you hear that phrase, immediately stop discharging your gun.
3. If you need to change your target, be sure to wait until all the other shooters have put their weapons down and the range is quiet. Proceed to the target and replace it quickly, and then return to your designated lane. Do not pick your gun up again until the range is declared hot again.
4. Are you bringing multiple firearms to the range? If so, try to keep the cartridges separate. This will lower the chance of you accidentally loading one into the wrong gun. Even if you have brought with you a gun that has rapid-fire capabilities, check the range safety rules before you shoot your weapon in this manner. It may well be that this range discourages quick firing, and you will then need to shoot in a slower manner. If you are not sure whether or not the range condones rapid shooting, it never hurts to ask the person in charge. If you cannot immediately ask him, err on the side of caution and shoot slowly.
5. After you are finished with your shooting session, do what any respectable person would do: clean up your brass and any other detritus in the area. Pack away your weapons without impeding anyone else, and proceed to the lobby. Nearly all shooters take great care to follow all the rules of gun range etiquette. Make sure you are among them, and you will demand respect from your fellow shooters. budapest shooting